Sunday, December 31, 2006

Cowboys Suprised by Lions

Today my family and I went to the Dallas Cowboy football game against the weak Detroit Lions, and was I surprised. I went expecting the Cowboys to destroy the Lions in a pretty poor game. Although I was disappointed that the Cowboys lost, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy a great game. The many lead changes and big plays on offense and defense made the game fun to watch throughout, and it was a nail-biter until Romo's scramble was stopped on the 1-yard line late in the 4th quarter (just seconds remaining).

Most fans surrounding us didn't mind the loss as much as losing any realistic chance at home game playoff tickets. The Cowboys are the second lowest seed in the playoffs and would have to face the Giants in the third round (if that's possible) to earn a home game. I'm not holding my breath...ok I'm an optimist and can hold my breath for some time. I will never count out a possibility until it is no longer possible:) Which is why we stayed until Romo got stopped.

Since we went to church this morning before the game, we had to rush just to wait for an hour in parking traffic (Note to self, never show up on time or late for a Cowboys game, even a potential blow-out). We did however manage to stop off at Chipotle (high on our favorites list) for several delicious burritos on the way. That saved me a few bucks in stadium food, and as I'm sure will become clear sooner or later in my blogging, I like to save money.

The whole family will be rooting for the Cowboys next week and through the playoffs. That is until they meet the Chargers in the Superbowl. At that point, my long time allegiance to the Chargers will overcome my recent enjoyment of the Cowboys and I will thoroughly enjoy the game as the Chargers trounce the Cowboys. Of course I don't think I can count on recruiting any of my family to cheer with me, as they have all become loyal Cowboy fans:(, but I enjoy a little friendly rivalry.

I almost forgot to mention that I've made an unfortunate prediction for a particular Cowboy. Although I like what he's done for the Cowboys and enjoy his zest for the game, I have to make the call. Tony Romo is a flash-in-the-pan. Many years ago my wife made a similar call. Unfortunately, she chose to claim that none other than Tiger Woods was a flash in the pan. I think I have a little bit better chance of success than she, but just to hedge my bet, "I hope I'm wrong (wink)." Anyway, I think Romo will either be out with the Cowboys no later than the end of next season, or they will continue to flounder. Tony needs to enjoy his 15 games (or so) of fame and be glad he got them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Romo! Romo! Romo!