Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Making a Difference

Often when I'm coaching my sons' basketball teams I feel like I'm not helping anyone get any better at basketball. Fortunately, that's not why I coach. I'm trying to teach these kids about Jesus Christ, and in some cases give them their first exposure to Jesus and how to become a Christian. It gives me a lot more satisfaction when I see behavior improvement in my team than when I see skill improvement.

Not to say that I don't love to see kids learn how to play basketball, but that's not why I'm there. Last year, at the end of the season, a parent came up and let me know that I had helped her son understand how to become a Christian in a way he hadn't understood before. That was a surprise to me, but very satisfying and important.

I'm glad that Upwards basketball gives me a chance to teach kids about God in a fun environment. I'd do it more often if it paid the bills.

No comments: