Saturday, January 6, 2007

Rotary Resolution 5k

Today the whole family ran the Rotary Resolution 5k, all except the youngest who ran the 1k fun run. Our youngest did very well in the 1k. Probably setting a new PR for him.

I planned to run alone, while my wife and older son would run mostly together. This was the first run I would be using a 201 Garmin Forerunner on and I was a little excited about that. I programmed in a virtual runner to run a 5k race in 21:50. I had run my last 5k in 21:15, but hadn't run in a bit so I took off a few seconds.

Unfortunately, I needed to take off quite a few more. I did fairly well through the first half of the race. Although I did notice that it seemed I was breathing too for this pace! Of course that's because I was running to hard for my recent training. Once I got to 2 miles, I hit the moment of truth...and decided it wasn't worth it today. I slowed dramatically to about an 8:30 pace and strolled. Of course I was hoping to pick it up after I felt better, but I never really felt that good:(

The bottom line was that I turned in a very poor time for me >24. Normally I know my exact time, but honestly I don't really want to remember this race. EXCEPT as I come up with a new resolution. I resolve to not run that slow again for the rest of the year (when I'm racing). Of course that means I'll have to start making time to train and eat right, but those are all things I love to do.

At end of all races each car is blessed with several flyers for upcoming races. Well, this time the flyers were helpful. I intend to run in each of the 3 races that were left on my window. I'll let you know how the runs go.

No comments: