Saturday, January 13, 2007

One and One...or maybe not

Today both my boys played in their first basketball games of the new season. They play in Upward basketball, and I coach both their teams. Now I'm not much of a basketball coach, but I believe I fit the mold of an Upward coach. This is a league with special rules that emphasize team play and giving everyone a chance to play. Those are things I wish every league would value, and I always emphasize. At the same time the kids are learning about basketball, the coaches take time to teach them about God and how to come to know him. Like I said, a perfect fit for what I like about sports.

That said, the league does keep score for the older kids. Although they don't keep win-loss records for any age. Of course, even if the league doesn't keep score for some younger teams or standings, all the kids and many parents know the score. So, I'm one-and-one.

My younger son's team started out the day getting whipped by the opposition. I felt bad that they couldn't be more competitive, and even a little guilty that maybe I hadn't prepared them. At the same time, I felt good that each boy did play a fair amount of time. They all got an opportunity to touch the ball and be involved in the game. The other team just played better. So the day started 0 and 1.

Later in the day, my older son's team whipped their opposition. I was informed after the game that this was the first time my older son's team had ever won (in any season of basketball)! Once again, I was most pleased that the boys played their best, each had a fair opportunity to contribute, and played with good attitudes. I was also openly proud of my son, as he played his best game ever. While he's not the best player on the team, he has learned to play with his strengths. 1 and 1, or maybe 2 and 0 (2 feel good games to none).

No comments: