Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Team First

How did I convert from being an LA Laker fan for over 20 years to rooting for the Dallas Mavericks? It wasn't because of Mark Cuban, although he's been great. It wasn't because of Dirk, although I love having him on the team. It was because of the Lakers.

The Lakers were a great team and won almost all of the time. They had Magic Johnson as their leader and they played great team ball. Then slowly, but steadily they lost these players. They were still good, but the attitudes changed from team first to me first. I'm not sure who I blame more or Shaq, or the team letting Eddie Jones leave, but I couldn't stand rooting for a team with such selfish players. I literally had no player to root for any longer.

So, for the first and only time in my life I stopped rooting for my favorite team. It was sudden and decisive. I was no longer a Laker fan, but who could I root for. Fortunately for me I have moved to the Dallas area and the folks in Dallas loved the Mavericks. They weren't any good. They were so bad, the announcers would be worried if they only had a 10 point lead during the last few minutes. Of course I've always rooted for the underdog, so it made since to start cheering for the Mavs.

I have to admit it took a few years before I became hooked, but I was certainly a Mavericks fan to anyone who cared to ask. Only after many years of dutifully cheering for this terrible basketball team was my new loyalty rewarded with some success. Although the thing that made me a true Maverick fan was the attitude of the players. The longer I stayed with the team, the more team oriented they seemed to be. The day when Michael Finley stepped aside to let Dirk lead the team was just one example of how they showed teamwork.

Now the Mavericks have ridden their success to nearly the top. I've been disappointed losing first Finely and then Nash. They were keys, not only as skilled players, but also as key role models for how teammates should act. Unlike the Lakers though, the Mavericks continue to bring in players who are team first. They have a great coach, who keeps them centered and focused on playing team ball. Dirk, one of the best players in the NBA, seems to be the most humble superstar on the planet.

I hope that the Mavericks get rewarded for showing us all that working together is the key to success. I would get a lot of satisfaction from their success.

No comments: