Monday, January 1, 2007

Ultramarathon Man...Passion

I recently read Dean Karnazes' book about his start and life as an ultra marathon runner. I finished the book in a couple days, which is quick for me and shows this was a real page turner. I enjoyed the personal look at his life and the detailed descriptions of some crucial moments or turning points in his life.



My first thought after reading it (and even during the read) was that I should become a ultra marathoner too. His writing was pretty good, but it was the motivational message that caught my attention. After a couple days of thinking on his story and letting the message settle in a bit, I realized that the message was intended to inspire each of us to determine or find our passion and go after it like Dean has rather than going after his passion. Not that I won't become an ultramarathoner, but I should make sure that my heart is in it.

Much like Dean, I have enjoyed a good life. My faith and family and job give me joy and satisfaction, but I haven't done what I was put here for. I haven't reached my potential. I haven't found something to be passionate about, or else I just haven't been passionate about what I've done.

I did married a very passionate woman. Passion was what attracted me to her and what has inspired me to do much of what I have done, but I cannot claim her passion as my own, and she cannot apply her passion to my life. No... passion is something you have to find for yourself. Passion is visible and attractive, but it doesn't come without cost. Maybe to have passion you have to be willing to make sacrifices, to trade something, to work harder. It appears that Dean took that approach, and it clearly worked for him.

I guess that's what I saw in Dean's book. It's a story about passion. He does a wonderful job describing his passion and sharing it with us.

As this is a new year, I'll make it a goal or resolution of mine to become a person of passion. I will start by finding something I enjoy, or that I feel is important, and diving into it. I'll let you know what comes up.

I highly recommend reading Ultramarathon Man. Hopefully it will inspire you as well. Thanks Dean for the inspiration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a good review. Glad you posted it. :)