Saturday, January 6, 2007

My Favorite Race Story

I apologize ahead of time for this longer post, but sometimes you just gotta be verbose. So...

Background:
I had been running for a couple years and started running in some longer distance races. The day after each race, I would scan the newspaper for the results. With my ego leading the way I would check to see how I placed, not only in my age catagory, but also against all the other age groups men and women (I know, pretty focused on me). The bottom line of this part of my tale is this, in the longer races there was always some women in the 60+ age group that beat me. I would tell me friends and myself, "if I ever saw that woman I sure wouldn't let her beat me" (ego, ego, ego).

Fast Forward to 1st Marathon:
So after going through a beginners Runners' World marathon training plan, I was prepared to complete in my 1st marathon. My main goal was to finish, but a stretch goal was to beat 4 hours. I was running with the friend I had trained with and we planned to stick together, this was the first marathon for both of us.

Everything was going fine for about 20 miles and then as many people have in the past, I hit a wall. I won't say THE WALL, but it was too big for me to continue at that pace. I slowed down and for a while my friend did as well. I was finally able to encourage him to leave me behind, as he for some reason was able to dodge the wall that hit me and felt great.

At this slower pace my will to complete this marathon never wavered, I may not beat 4 hours, but I would finish. At some point I really started to enjoy myself. I cheered on other runners as I passed them and even as they passed me. I didn't care. At one point an older woman passed me who was being cheered by several on the sidelines, "Go, Mary". As she passed I heartily cheered her on too, truely hoping to encourage her. Then my words came back to me, "If I ever saw that woman I sure wouldn't let her beat me."

Moment of Truth:
Ok, ok, I know what your thinking. Did this guy really get motivated by a senior woman passing him in a marathon? Absolutely! I decided it was time to put up or shut up. So, I picked it up a little and quickly passed her back. With her clearly in my rear view I stopped at the next aid station for a drink. Upon getting started again I was startled to see she had passed me by during my break. No more aid stations for me. If she can skip them, so could I. I couldn't let her to slip by and beat me. So I picked it up and passed her again.

And the Winner Is:
That was the last I saw of Mary. I was able to hold or increase my pace all the way to the end. I had done it. I won:) Of course the next day I checked the paper and sure enough, a few minutes behind my time was Mary, champion of the 60+ women. So I had beaten all women over 60 (check that box). On top of that, I beat my 4 hour goal (3:54). I'm pretty sure that if Mary hadn't come along I wouldn't have. So, I am very grateful for Mary. I'm also grateful and surprised that at mile 22 of a marathon I remembered my jestful boast and allowed it to drive me on. Whatever it takes!:)

No comments: