Sunday, January 14, 2007

New England Finds a way to Win - I Find More in Life

As a life long San Diego Charger fan I was feeling pretty bad after the Chargers lost. It is bad enough having your team lose, but when the team is so promising it feels even worse.

Soon after the game, the family pulled out our latest Ga'Hoole book for our reading time. I sat back listening, but also contemplated the loss. Soon though, I realized that I was letting a game (important as it was) intrude on a special family time. When that struck me, I was disappointed in myself for valuing this game so highly. I decided to take my turn reading a chapter, and wound up enjoying the reading time with my family even more because of my little mental victory over the football disappointment.

I don't want to minimize the loss many loyal fans feel when their favorite team loses, but it is just a game. These games are meant to entertain, and this game was entertaining. I hope all football fans, whether they win or lose, can remember to value the daily things of life more.

Today at church our pastor's sermon was about valuing Today, the present. It was a little like a seize-the-day sermon. Although he never said those words. The sermon struck a chord with me, as I am looking for something to be more passionate about. I guess today I decided to be more passionate about my family than I am about football. If I can make that a true statement (instead of just some words in my blog), then I will have become a better person.

Of course, I still would like to find something more exciting to be passionate about, like endurance running. If family is my passion, what should I do to act on that? How can someone be more passionate about their family? How can that make a difference in the world? Am I just copping out, picking a passion that I can't avoid? Something that has no real way to measure progress or success?

Maybe I am. Either way, there's no harm in working to be a better father and husband. I can still look for other passions. As Dean Karnazes showed, family may be the one thing that truely allows you to achieve your passion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It *was* an entertaining game, but awfully disappointing. At least the Mavericks won with a buzzer-beater. :)